Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Disney’s Rogue One Problem??





I’m a huge Star Wars fan.  I’ve seen all the movies.  I’ve watched the Ewok specials.   I’ve seen every episode of the Clone Wars and Rebels and read about 100 Star Wars books.  I waited all week for the Rogue One Trailer and watched it at least 7 times the night it came out.    I personally can’t wait for the movie so as far as Disney is concerned they have this Star Wars fan wrapped around their finger.  




The problem Disney faces with Rogue One is the casual Star Wars fan.  The marketing for a Rogue One is a challenge for Disney.  This movie has no recognizable characters from previous Star Wars films with the exception of Vader.   As I sat mouth a gape in front of my big screen TV during the Olympic coverage as the Rogue One trailer rolled across the screen my wife turned to me about one minute in and said “Are there any characters we know in this movie?”    And that is the problem.   The diehard fans like me get that this movie takes place right before  A New Hope.    The average casual fan that showed up to see Han Solo in the Force Awakens remains confused.   As much as Disney will try to get the message out as to what this movie is about and when it takes place in the Star Wars Timeline---there are going to be people that show up to the theater and wonder ……”Where is Luke?”   “BB-8 isn’t in the movie?”   Despite the ads people are going to think this is Episode 8.  People are going to ask “ I thought Vader died?”     How is Disney going to solve this problem?  How will they get the message out to the average fan and how will that effect the box office for the film?    Disney can’t expect this film to even come close to what The Force Awakens did.  The Force Awakens marketed itself.   It was the right movie at the right time.  
I assume Disney will expect Rogue One to be more like a Thor or Antman at the box office movie when compared to The Avengers, but what if they mistakenly think this will be just as big?  

Personally I think the are doing a good job of explaining what this movie is.....But is that enough for the average viewer to get it?

Here is the trailer.


Follow my Disney Facebook Page Here

The Mouse Minute has moved to it's own Website

https://themouseminute.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment