Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Muppets 2012 7 out of 10 (Disney Family Film #2)







I wanted to see The Muppets in the theaters. I was glad that they had made their way back to the big screen after quite a break and the parody trailers were really well done.
(Marketing done right--unlike John Carter). I missed them in the theaters and had heard nothing only great things about the movie so when it finally came out on DVD I knew this was one that we had to get for the family. The movie was good ---but it didn't live up to all the applause that had followed its release for me. I mean the plot is basically exactly the same as The Country Bears movie with a bit of UHF thrown in as well. The Country Bears was considered a bomb (I actually thought it was okay) so I find it strange that The Muppet movie got such acclaim (since it is practically the same film). As for music.....I was expecting more as well....after all I'm a huge Flight of the Conchords fan so I was excited for the music in the movie. "Am I a Muppet or Man" was excellent but some of the other music just left me shaking my head (especially the lame rap song by the villain).

I get that for many it had an emotional connection in the nostalgia of getting the gang back together and stirring up memories of the old Muppet Show that we grew up watching on TV, but the sappy stuff only grabbed my interest to a certain degree. I felt the 2 human characters played be Jason Segal (who also co-wrote the movie) and Amy Adams were a waste. Their love story really didn't add much to the movie at all. The movie had its moments, but somehow I was hoping for a little bit more. The original Muppet movie is still by far the best of the Muppet films in my opinion.

The Muppets are the Muppets and their is a certain charm that comes with their mere presence on screen. The DVD had some good extras. The blooper reel was good. The Test footage and behind the scenes had that classic Muppet charm. I was looking forward to the 6 Sampler episodes of the actual Muppet Show (that came with the movie at Target) which the nostalgic elements of the movie made we want to see. Unfortunately that disc had no audio for some reason which disappointed me even more.

If the only thing you get out of this Muppet Movie is wanting to see the original TV show or the first Muppet Movie than it is definitely worth it and the kids will probably love it anyway.





Wedding Paper Divas 30% Off Sitewide Cyber Week 728x90

No comments:

Post a Comment