Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Matterhorn: A Disney Attraction Review : Looking for Yetis 9+ out of 10


I had one goal on the way home from work on Friday.
That goal was to see the new Yeti from the Matterhorn at Disneyland.   I had heard whispered rumors that a new Yeti had taken residence in the old Mountain and I had to see it for myself.
I remember back in the 1970's when I was a little kid and the first Yeti took up residence in this mountain.  That commercial made me afraid to go on the attraction. In the commercial it looked like you went past a Yeti that was the size of Gozilla.   When I went on the ride I broke out in laughter --because Harold the Yeti wasn't nearly as scary as the advertisement made him out to be.   I have always loved the attraction despite the Yeti not being so scary.


I arrived at the park via Monorail and starting walking around
 the outside of this mountain I saw evidence of his presence.


The Matterhorn was closed for awhile earlier this year --but reopened on May 22nd 2015 with a couple of new surprises.    
New enhanced special effects that bring a renewed sense of excitement to a ride that has been around since 1959 and was the first tubular steel  continuous track roller coaster.  



The new effects include a projected image of the Yeti at the top of the hill that starts your ride.  This effect and its use of sound are a really cool addition to this classic coaster ride.  The ride also has enhanced sound effects for a section of the ride that goes through darkness that makes you feel like the new Yeti is breathing down your neck.



The new Yeti himself is a great addition to the ride.  I will miss Harold  (the old Yeti) --but his replacement is much more dynamic and full of energy and make this old coaster seem new again.  
I foolishly attempted to get photographic evidence of this beast, but anyone who has seen the show  "Finding Bigfoot" will know how difficult --capturing a Yeti on camera is.
I will keep scaling this Matterhorn in search of Adventure for years to come in search of this beast as it is still very much an E Ticket attraction.



For a look at the new Yeti and effects --Check out this Disney Parks Blog video.


Follow my Disney facebook page is below

Nerd Block



40% off everything 728x90

No comments:

Post a Comment